HOW TO ORDER WHISKEY LIKE A PRO.
How to order whiskey like a pro. Not sure if you love hanging out at a bar like me, but have you noticed how to order whiskey over your years? We asked mixologist Chris Powers, Whiskey Master, and Bartender, at the award-winning Jet Nightclub at the Mirage in Las Vegas.
Let’s admit it – how to order whiskey can be a little daunting, especially for those who don’t go out often. I once heard someone ordered rye and a whiskey. The bartender didn’t even ask a question. It would have been so confusing for me if I was the one serving their drinks!
When the night’s young and the bar-goers keep coming in, the busy bartender can only take so much pressure.
Make it a fun experience. Here’s how you can order whiskey like a pro.
CHECK WHAT’S AVAILABLE
Let’s start with the basics. You need to know the different types and blends of a whiskey. To begin your journey on how to order whiskey like a pro. The list is long, but here are some that you should know.
What’s your favorite whiskey?
1. Irish Whiskeys
When your whiskey was made and produced in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, yes, you guessed it right, you have an Irish Whiskey! This type of whiskey is known for its clean, smooth taste.
Irish whiskeys are aged for 3 years or more. Peat is not used during the malting process to achieve its clean taste and smooth texture.
Normally, Irish whiskeys are distilled using malted and un-malted barley with a mix of other grains. They are being distilled 3 times for lighter and more neutral taste and feel.
2. Scotch Whiskeys
As the name implies, this type of whiskey can only be made and produced in Scotland. Scotch whiskeys are made from malted barley. They are normally distilled twice and are left to age in oak barrels for at least 3 years.
Since peat (or dirt) is used in malting, this type of whiskey has a smoky taste.
Scotch whiskeys made from malted barley are called single malt Scotch. On the other hand, Single grin Scotches are those that are made at a single malt barley distillery and other types of grains regardless if they’re malted or not.
There are three blends of Scotch whiskey.
These are called:
- Blended Malt Scotch – This is made when single malt Scotch whiskeys from different distilleries in which true taste is blended.
- Blended Grain Scotch – This is made by blending single grain Scotch whiskeys from different distilleries adding to a true flavour.
- Blended Scotch – This is made when a single malt Scotch and single grain Scotch are blended adding to its true flavor.
A TRUE ORIGINAL TEMPLETON, RYE SPIRIT RECIPE THAT MADE THE TOWN FAMOUS DURING PROHIBITION YEARS IN THE 1930’S.
3. THE AMERICAN WHISKEYS
Ah! Thank God for American Whiskeys!
Go grab a shaped glass or Old Fashioned, lowball glass or even a cocktail glass for these sweet flavour favorites.
These whiskeys are normally aged in new charred oak barrels. Among the most popularly known American Whiskeys are Bourbon, Tennessee whiskey, and Rye whiskey.
Below is some whiskey or whisky terminology for some of the best American brands on the market that have won the world over.
- Bourbon – At least 51% of Bourbon is made from corn. It has a sweet, delicious taste. Some of Bourbon’s famous brands are Wild Turkey and Maker’s Mark.
- Tennessee Whiskey – This type of whiskey is just Bourbon made from Tennessee. The main difference is that Tennessee whiskey is filtered through maple charcoal before aging. This process removes unpleasant taste and smoky flavor odor and thus, gives Tennessee whiskey a cleaner taste.
- Rye Whiskey – If you are looking for a different blend, then try this whiskey. It’s made from at least 100% of straight rye, Subtle aromas of rye, a medium body, spicy taste, smoky flavor, and a peppery finish to counter some of those too-sweet drinks.
DECIDE ON HOW YOU WANT IT TO BE SERVED
When you finally know what you want, figure out how you want it to be served.
Now, this is the fun part. Here are some ways to call your order:
RYE COCKTAIL OR SOLID WHISKEY COCKTAIL WHATS YOUR FLAVOR.
How to order Whiskey? With too many whiskey snobs out there who think the only way to drink whiskey is by itself or neat. These people spend their time sitting at the end of a bar, poking fun of those who order whiskey in mixed drinks. Typically they’re alone and set in their ways. But, on the off chance you’re ready to experience all there is about whiskey and truly engage your palette. Here are some ways to get it done right.
HOW TO ORDER THE WHISKEY?
- Neat – If you love to enjoy the aroma and flavor of your whiskey, then go choose neat. It’s basically whiskey at room temperature without ice.
- On the Rocks – This simply means that whiskey will be served with ice.
- Whiskey with Water – This is just it – whiskey with water. This helps in improving the taste of your whiskey to your liking. It’s best to try and taste the whiskey first if it needs water.
- With a Twist – Order this if you want your whiskey to be served with a thin strip of citrus peel.
- Up – This order is best for Manhattan and other whiskey-based martinis. It’s stirred and strained into a chilled stemware glass.
- With Lemon or Lime – If you want your whiskey with a more citrusy feel, try ordering it with a side of lemon or lime.
- Chaser – If you want to spice it up a bit, order a chaser. It’s whiskey with a small side of other beverages like juice or soda after a shot.
- Short – Specify short if you want less mix when you order a double.
- Dram – This is the traditional call for a Scottish glass of whiskey.
Let’s order this now like a pro chhose from the following bitters here
CALL YOUR ORDER
NOW THAT YOU KNOW HOW TO ORDER WHISKEY LIKE A PRO
Time to call the bartender for your order! Are you ready?
Think of this as the grown-up account on “Choose Your Own Pleasure” except the conclusion is more satisfying. “Don’t ever walk into a bar and slam down your hand and then start to order your whiskey. This is your water of life your elixir of feeling good juice. You never want to assume they have it. Always ask what they carry in stock,” Powell advised. “Feel free to have an open friendly dialogue with your bartender. He will appreciate your patronage more and slip you a little extra in your whiskey glass. And you will have a better time finding what you love while drinking whiskey and making new friends doing so.
Enjoy your drink of true flavored whiskey!
Hope this little guide; assists you on how to order whiskey! Let us know how you order whiskey like a pro in the comment section below! And always remember to drink responsively, and when having a blended whiskey always remember to choose Iowa Legendary Rye Unaged Rye, it’s a white whiskey, moonshine that will add clarity and flavor replaces most of if not all vodka drink fillers, so whiskey up and keep sipping.